Do you think it would be impossible to make a casserole, a Tex-Mex Casserole without cheese? Well, let me show you how I did it for this recipe.
I chose corn tortillas to keep the recipe wheat-free (aka gluten-free).
And guess what? If you have someone that just loves cheese, they can top their serving with the cheese of their choice (…even vegan cheese 🙂
Alternative to cheese, but creamy? Add avocado, guacamole or this cashew cilantro cream sauce.
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (or 2 cups freshly diced)
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans (or 2 cups home-cooked), rinsed
- 1 15 oz of black beans (or 2 cups of home-cooked), rinsed *
- 1/4 bell pepper (any color)
- 1 small onion
- 8 ounces of your favorite salsa
- 1 15 oz can (2 cups) of enchilada sauce (or see homemade recipe below)
- 6 corn tortillas (or flour)
- Cook onions and bell pepper. If using ground meat add at this step too.
- Add other ingredients except for the enchilada sauce and tortillas, mix together.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Tear (or cut) the 2 tortillas into smaller sizes and place on the bottom of the dish.
- Layer 1/3 of the filling over the tortillas.
- Try to repeat steps 4 and 5 twice, but it doesn’t have to be that structured.
- Mix the enchilada sauce and thickener of choice together and pour over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 – 30 minutes, until bubbly and sauce has thickened.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup broth
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TB red wine vinegar (really almost any vinegar can be substituted here)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or 2 Roma tomatoes)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano (or even Italian herb spices)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 – 2 TBS chili powder (or TACO Seasoning works well too)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 – 2 slices of jalapenos for added flavor
- 1 TBS of thickener (tapioca, potato starch, gluten free flour or cornstarch -organic/Non-GMO please)
Directions: Place all ingredients into blender and blend well. You can also add a tablespoon of thickener at this point for easy mix-in.
Served topped with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!