I’ve had the opportunity to share this recipe at quite a few parties this Christmas season and it has received great reviews. Most are very surprised when they discover that the ‘caramel’ dip doesn’t contain any sugar or dairy. (Surprise…it’s made using dates!)
- 4 large Fuji or Gala Apples (I think I would even enjoy Granny Smith)
Date ‘caramel’ sauce:
- 8 Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond (recipe says that coconut milk is also an option)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (alcohol free vanilla extract is also an option)
- dash of sea salt
- Walnuts and/or pecans
- Raisins and/or dried cranberries
- 2 tsp tahini or almond butter
- Blend together all the ingredients for the caramel sauce until smooth. If not using a high-speed blender, it would be best to soak the dates in the water prior to blending
- Cut the apples into thin wedges, arrange on a platter, pour on sauce and add toppings.
Note: This was adapted from the ‘Apple Nachos’ recipe from the Medical Medium’s website.