I have been looking into the possibility of buying a protein powder to supplement my nutrients and caloric intake. Yet, after reading the ingredients on multiple different protein powder brands, I decided to make my own.
The reason I had problems with most protein powder mixes is mostly due to my Candida Overgrowth. I can’t have sugars, and also I need to avoid whey and most grains due to Leaky Gut (most likely caused by Candida). Also, many protein powders have added vitamins in forms that I don’t need or don’t want to ingest. I’m already taking vitamin supplements that I specifically need, so I don’t need it included in my protein smoothie.
So here is the homemade vegan protein smoothie that I came up with.
- 1 cup of water (or fresh juice*)
- 2 – 3 ice cubes
- 1 – 2 stalks celery
- 1 green apple, cut into quarters
- 1 cup spinach (or kale)
- 1 tsp Spirilina (optional)
- 1 tsp Barley Grass (optional)
- Other Fruit (such as bananas*)
- 3 TBS Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein
- Add ingredients into a blender (a high speed one such as the Vitamix works nicely) in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.