Note: This grilled recipe was inspired by the grilled eggplant as described by https://minimalistbaker.com/smoky-grilled-eggplant/.
Grilled Eggplant and Hummus Stacks
Power Greens: spinach, chard, kale, arugula (a mixture or just one)
1 TBS balsamic vinegar (optional)
1 TBS coconut aminos (optional)
1/3 small onion
1/2 red bell pepper
6 ounces of mushrooms (4 - 6 small sized)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
salt to taste
Cut eggplant into about 1/2 inch thick slices and season with spices (paprika, cumin, coriander, salt) and allow to sit if you need to make hummus.
See below for hummus recipe.
After about 15 minutes or allowing the eggplant to marinate, cook the eggplant on a hot griddle. (I used my George Foreman Grill.)
Simultaneously, you can grill vegetables (onions, red bell pepper and mushrooms) in a shallow pan.
Lastly, pan saute the power greens using the coconut aminos and/or balsamic vinegar and water.
Mix all of the following ingredients using a food processor.
- 1 can of chickpeas (or 2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic (2 if you like it spicy!)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 TBS roasted red bell peppers (optional, but adds a nice flavor)
- salt to taste
Here is the way I served it:
1. First lay a base of sauteed power greens
2. Then layer: (stacked at least twice)
- Grilled Eggplant
- Grilled Veggies: Onions, Red Bell Peppers, Mushrooms
3. Serve with a side of quinoa ( or other grain).