I found this recipe at the Minimalist Baker’s blog. It is definitely a good alternative to those brand name chips. (Hey, I hear ya….I was addicted to those chili Fritos too, but….hear me out.) Here is my personal review:
I give these 3.5 out of 5 stars. Knowing that the reason they didn’t score higher is likely because this was the first time I tried making these. The seasoning was SPOT ON! (Confirmed by another family member.) Yet, the texture or crunch was not quite right. I intend to try various tortillas to get the desired outcome I’m looking for.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use convection setting if available.
- Add all seasonings to a large bowl and mix/whisk well. Set aside.
- Use a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors to cut the tortillas into Frito-sized strips. To accomplish this I cut the tortillas first into three parts using two horizontal cuts. Then I made the vertical cuts which resulted into the perfectly sized strips.
- Place corn strips onto a baking sheet. I covered the baking sheet with parchment paper. Add oil and toss the strips around to get them thoroughly coated in oil.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until crispy and be careful not to burn during the last couple of baking minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately toss the tortilla strips into the bowl with seasonings.