Coleslaw is a great salad option. What I like about it mostly is that it won’t get soggy like romaine, green leaf and other softer lettuces. I can season and put dressing on it, store in the fridge and have a tasty salad immediately when I’m ready to eat. It’s very flexible I like to add broccoli, dried fruits,
apples and you can even add cooked bacon! See the recipe below for other add-in suggestions. Be creative and enjoy your REAL FOOD!
- 3/4 cup broccoli stems
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small red (or green) cabbage (or 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
- juice of 1 whole lemon (or lime)
- pepper (and/or cayenne pepper)
- 2 TBS vinegar (apple cider vinegar, preferably)
- 2 TBS cashew butter (optional, for creamier version)
- Fruit Add-Ins (I prefer this option in place of adding sugar. Yet, if you can tolerate honey – it would be good too.)
- 1/2 mango
- 1/2 green apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- Other possible options: sunflower seeds (or other nuts/seeds), cilantro, corn
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl and season with spices to your own tastes.
- Makes about 2 – 3 cups.