I don’t want to throw away any food scraps. So, using the juice pulp that I don’t want to put into the compost pile I create dog treats. Here is a quick recipe and some variations of it.
Juice Pulp (from juicing 1 lb carrots and apples, shown here)
1 flax seed “egg” (1 TBS ground flax seeds and 3 TBS water)
1/4 to 1/2 cup oats (actually optional)
Adding nut butter will aid in them holding together even better. (My dogs love peanut butter.)
- Combine all ingredients and mix together well.
- Form into mini balls approx 1/2 inch diameter
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 15 – 20 minutes
- Finish in dehydrator for final crunch and to keep longer for storage. (optional)
- Dehydrate ONLY – this is my favorite way actually and how I prepare treats most often
- Could make into small disc instead of balls
- Substitute green juice pulp from lettuces/apples and dehydrate ONLY