I needed a quick meal and this is what I came up with. It’s a one-dish meal that’s easy to prepare. See notes below for optional add-ins and suggestions.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped and broken into small bits
- 1/2 cup frozen collard greens
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1/2 small green bellpepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice (I used Basmati rice)
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- Suggested seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, dash of cumin, salt and pepper (to taste)
- cashew cilantro cream sauce (optional)
- Add cauliflower, onion, bell pepper and garlic to a pot.
- Saute using a bit of coconut oil or steam saute (using a bit of the coconut milk) until onions become translucent
- Add all of the coconut milk and continue to cook vegetables until they are well-cooked. (I cooked in my Instant Pot for 5 minutes, 4 would have been enough.)
- Add cooked rice, frozen peas, cashew cilantro cream sauce (if using) and other seasonings to your desired taste.
- I think next time I will add some mushrooms and perhaps a bit of wild rice too. Some celery might be a good addition too…and lentils/chickpeas (my favorites).
- It’s a whole, plant-based dish that is easily adaptable to accommodate everyone in the family. In my family, vegetable dishes are the main meal and meats are side items.